Sunday 30/12/2018 Avoiding the Hoards on Salisbury plain

Had a Sunday off woohoo as I haven't done any trails in a while what with mechanical problems, physical problems and one thing and another I just hadn't had the chance. 
Arranged day off but low and behold it was the day of the Burbage Bakery Great escape.
 Ahh well no point calling on others as they would all be of to play with the TRF, and I am afraid that would of meant a very early start for me (which is friggin impossible)

I didnt want anything to strenuous anyway just some gentle lanes to get back into it, so a route was picked from my rather vast library of saved routes and tracks.
Image2018-12-31 by Tim Bartels, on Flickr

On hitting the Plain not a sole was around phew I had missed the bakery lot , but not for long round a bend there is a group of 20 odd riders heading straight for me, I pull over to let them pass, ride leader stops and asks if I am "lost" 
"Nah Mate just pulled in to let you all go"
"oh well cheers" says he

Get on past the racecourse and in distance can see another large group coming towards me
ImageIMG_20181230_115754078 by Tim Bartels, on Flickr
Again pull in, get my phone out to take a few photos , just about to start taking some pics and some muppet bins his 701 literally at my feet. (misssed photo diving for cover) 
Said muppet then starts moaning at me because he was too busy trying to smile for the birdy and not watching where he was going. 
I help pick his bike up and get him on his way , this is when the carnage began just get camera out and another one bins it before I can take a picture, then another one, then another one, anyway you get the picture (I know I didn't), but all in 5 muppets and one muppetess binned their little trails bike. the poor lass bent her bars so I felt duly obliged to help her and her (dad) bend bars back. this carnage was purely due to the size of the group and everyone riding to close to the person in front, mind it was on a very slippery chalky section, still once you stop its hard to get going with the rear wheel spinning and sliding all over.
ImageIMG_20181230_120306224 by Tim Bartels, on Flickr

ImageIMG_20181230_120318716 by Tim Bartels, on Flickr

I noticed that not any of the riders actually stopped to help their mates, i wonder if they would still be there if i hadn't lent a hand.

The coast was finally clear for me to head on down the hill of slippery doom, but before I go I think I had better let a group of 4x4's go I don't want one of them running me over just in case the big black bitch has been watching the carnage and decide to bin me in the middle of the track.she has been known to do that.

No all good, get to bottom and the 4x4's decide to have a wallow
ImageDSCN1585 by Tim Bartels, on Flickr

ImageDSCN1583 by Tim Bartels, on Flickr

ImageDSCN1582 by Tim Bartels, on Flickr

As happy as pigs in shit but fuck me don't they make a bloody mess


Time to head off do a few more trails up around Pewsey there is a nice track through the woods means a bit of road work but nice to get away fro the big groups and the 4x4's.


After lunch get back on to the plain, there are that many people out and about you cant even stop and have a piss in peace without some one coming over and seeing if I am alright, nice friendly biker thing to do but honestly I have been shaking my own dick since I was a bairn.

I did come across one 4x4 that was being rescued the roof was all caved in obviously had a hissy fit and decided to do a turtle on his back impersonation. No blood or gore so time to ride on 


Back on the perimiter road i was going to take the inner road but that was looking very wet and i know too my cost there are some very big and deep puddles along there, besides i could see some more 4x4 coming towards me. now i came across this little memorial 

ImageIMG_20181230_135741609_HDRby Tim Bartels, on Flickr
ImageIMG_20181230_135721758 by Tim Bartels, on Flickr

it is in German so if anyone knows anything about it please say, Just shows sometimes it is worth taking a different route.

https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-salisbury-plain-training-area-wiltshire-uk-memorial-to-a-german-soldier-24378575.html
ImageIMG_20181230_140401918 by Tim Bartels, on Flickr

yes this is a military training area please DO NOT LEAVE THE CARRIAGE WAY

ImageIMG_20181230_140653739_HDRby Tim Bartels, on Flickr
Can cows read ????

Then it was over time to get home, just one last little detour, just to check that the byway pass Stone henge is open, had heard the rumours but need to be sure.

Well thats it for another year, lets hope next year is better, it sure as hell cant be any worse. time now to get ice in the whisky and on the knees. have a good one

It was nice to see that even though the groups were large and in some cases far too big, there were a few younger riders mixed in and even better it was nice to spot a few young lasses giving it a go.

Comments